In this episode of First Things First, I sit down with Brandon Selfors, founder of Emboss LLC., a marketing services company diversifying into financial services.
A day late and a dollar short: Why both Fintech and IoT customers (and the industries as a whole) shift to platforms.
Dollar for Dollar, the development of the Fintech and IoT companies share a lot of similarities, and that means their customers share a lot problems.
Disparate data sources. Many different attempts at standardization vying for proliferation, and thus validation. And in Brandon’s eyes, this creates real problems for the ‘disenfranchised’ – less sexy, less popular industries that might not have the capital inflow of other growing industries.
Brandon’s two cents: Remember the human
As Brandon diversifies Emboss from an unscalable marketing services company to a highly-scalable financial services company, he divulges some key tips that are applicable across any Fintech or IoT deployment.
• Remember that technology should be wielded and developed to solve *human* needs – mostly to give humans more time to do what they *want* to do – like spend more time with their family!
• Audit your time to ensure you are actually doing work that makes your software (or IoT deployment) better – not just more broad for the sake of doing so.
• Look to platforms that focus on specific functionalities – they allow you to focus more on the key aspects of your business without getting mired in too wide a portfolio of functionalities. Jack of all trades…. Master of none!
About Our Guest: Brandon Selfors
A leader in Digital Systems Building and creative marketing, Brandon Selfors is an experienced founder with a demonstrated history of working in the marketing and advertising industry. Skilled in Search Engine Optimization (SEO), Advertising, Sales, WordPress, and Entrepreneurship, Brandon is business development professional with a Bachelor of Science (BS) focused in Entrepreneurship/Entrepreneurial Studies from University of South Florida. Go bulls!
“There is always a dialogue between technologies.“
“When people become the things of IoT? Done wrong, scary stuff.“
“We always need to design for the human element.“
“We can’t forget that technology should, first and foremost, make people’s lives better.“
- https://emboss.io – agency
- Brandon’s episode of CryptoCentz Podcast: https://open.spotify.com/show/71x42xHvNneLTVNQSbD1H9
- Brandon’s LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/brandonselfors/
- Telit’s Use Case with Tennant: https://www.telit.com/resources/case-studies/tennant/
- Plant Floor and Information Technology, by Honda’s Andre Swain at ARC World Industry Forum 2013
About our sponsor
First Things First is sponsored by Telit, a global provider of wireless connectivity modules, platforms, IoT operator services and professional services. Telit supports thousands of direct and indirect customers by enabling hundreds of millions of connected ‘things.’ With almost two decades of IoT innovation experience, Telit delivers secure, integrated end-to-end IoT solutions for many of the world’s largest brands, including enterprises, OEMs, system integrators, and service providers across industries.